Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Roof - Part 1

I have what could be deemed a 'love-hate relationship' with roof carpenters.

I am in awe of the skill that allows them to take 2,560 linear metres of structural pine of various sizes and lengths (I had a look at the cartage note) and create a structure that not only has to conform to the design of the architect, but also has to stand up without additional support, be centred and then support the tiles.

Basically they take this:

And turn it into something that looks like this:

Remember, this is a work in progress and it's only the carpenters' second full day on the job.

So - the hate? Because even with their obvious skills and know-how, they can't help but include what I consider* dodgy aspects; like this;

OR
Just think there must be a more 'approved' method than grabbing a left over brick or two, am thankful they have used solids though!

* Okay, I know absolutely nothing about roof carpentry and am quite certain that the bricks will be able to support the weight and it's something that is done regularly. Will stop being such a queen now :)